Are you a self-employed worker working in the EU, EEA or Switzerland?

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31st October, there may be changes for UK self-employed workers working in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland?

Currently, workers only need to pay social security contributions in one country at a time. If we leave without a deal, the coordination between the UK and the EU will end. This will mean self-employed workers may need to make social security contributions in both the UK and the EU, EEA or Switzerland at the same time.

If you are a self-employed worker, you will need to do the following to prepare:

  • If you have a UK-issued A1/E101 form, you will continue to pay UK National Insurance contributons for the period shown on the form.
  • If the end date on the form goes beyond the day the UK leaves the EU, you will need to contact the relevant EU/EEA or Swiss authority to confirm whether or not you need to start paying social security contributions in that country from the date we leave the EU. You can find the relevant authority on the European Commission’s website.
  • If you are a UK or Irish national working in Ireland, your position will not change after Brexit as you will be covered under the international agreement signed by the UK and Ireland in February 2019.
  • A replace for the A1/E101 form will be issued for new applications after Brexit, this ensures you will continue to make UK National Insurance Contributions to maintain your social security records.