Should you charge VAT to Overseas Customers?

Business to Business Supply – No VAT is charged to an overseas customer.  If your client is a business, you must be able to prove this.  For EU-based customers, a VAT number will be sufficient.

Business to Consumer Supply (non-VAT reg) within the UK – you must charge VAT unless your business is also registered for VAT in the country which goods are being sent.

Business to Consumer Supplier – if your customer is outside the EU, you don’t need to charge VAT.

Need any help with establishing whether you need to charge VAT? then please give us a call on 01908 227055.




Last updated:  8 May 2019